Friday 8 May 2015

Grocery Store Inquiry

Earlier this week we were making our Play Plans when two girls in our class announced that they wanted to play grocery store in our house. I asked them if they had everything they needed and they started to list some objects that would help them. Soon they had written a whole list!


The next day I gathered as many of the items from their list as possible and rearranged some of the furniture in our house. When the students arrived they were SO excited to see that we had a grocery store in our classroom. At Thinking and Learning time, everyone wanted to play in the store.


We decided we should give our store a name and put up a sign. We also made a small restaurant next to the store and one student set up her own bank so people could get the money they needed to buy
groceries.




In just a few short days the students have already learned a lot. They are able decide on a store manager, set the timer to time shifts, take turns with the cash register, and sort food into baskets. I can't wait to hear about what they learn in the next two weeks.

Speaking of the next two weeks, as many of you know, I will be in Italy on a Reggio Emilia Study Tour.

While I am away I will do my best to update the blog with updates, photos, and reflections about all of the things I am learning in Italy. Please check back soon!


No comments: